The guidelines for including work that is done by other people in your own presentation, report, or movie:
Writing from a book, magazine, etc.
Up to 1000 words, but not more than 10% of the book or article.
- Up to 250 words (or the entire poem if it is less than 250 words)
- No more than 3 poems by the same poet
- No more than 5 poems from a collection of poetry
Photographs or drawings
- Up to 5 graphics or photos from the same person
- No more than 15 images from the same collection
- Images cannot be changed.
- Up to 3 minutes but no more than 10% of the entire video
- The video clip may not be changed in any way
- Up to 30 seconds but no more than 10% of sheet music
- Up to 30 seconds but no more than 10% of a recording
- The music cannot be changed in any major way
Giving credit to your source
- An opening screen of a presentation must indicate that it follows the "fair use" rules of the U.S. Copyright law
- Copyright information for all items used must be included in a bibliography
Note: This page provides a simplified version of copyright laws and regulations. There are some exceptions. Please contact the library with any questions.